Friday, March 22, 2013

Fair and Tan

To be fair or tan...that is the question Hamlet asked himself.

I come from a part of the world where people do everything to get tanned. We go to Spain and do nothing but tan on the beach.  There are tanning salons all over Sweden.  You can buy tan in a creme or spray. As a child when everything is a competition, I was so jealous of one of my best friends who tanned really easily.  Me on the other hand got red at first and then tan. People made rude comments about me being fair and pale.

So I move to India and it is the complete opposite!  There is even a spray for whiter armpits. ..lol. Fair and lovely is a mantra here. 90% of all facial creams have whitening ingredients.  Clerks always try to sell whitening creams to me....Hello? ? Think...I'll become a ghost if I use such lotions.

Conclusion?  We want what we are not.  Straight hair wants curly hair. Tan wants fair. Blue eyes wants brown. ..but also, society sets the ideal on a more deeper level.  Every culture has an image of the ideal man and woman so we grow up wanting to look like that because all humans wants to be attractive,  fit in, be adored, accepted. It is both the ego and more crucial surviving.

Think about that word, surviving. Why do you think I chose it?

No comments:

Post a Comment