Friday, November 1, 2013

What can I do to help?

- What can I do to help?  was my question.  The answer surprised me since they asked for my time and not financial support (even though we discussed it later on). - Can you come here and just spend time with the children? They need that personal attention. 

I went there unannounced because I wanted to see the real and daily operations, ie what goes on when a potential sponsor is not expected.

Founded by an American,  sponsored with second hand wheelchairs and equipment sent from US. Good solid foundation with a track record of 25 years.  Another fantastic aspect is that they have a very good reputation by the locals as well.  

Quality and not quantity is another characteristic where they only take on as much responsibility as they can handle.

I got a really good feeling meeting the staff where each person seemed tailor made for his/her position.  The man who got the children from the slums, well,  he was also from the slum AND in a wheelchair.

The children are of course the real diamonds and one little boy really touched my heart.  He is a dwarf and the class helper. About a third of the group are unable to walk so this little hero runs around and helps the others. 

I've only been there once but I think I'll commit to these children so more information will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment