Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Don't tend to your Smartphone baby at night

Many years ago, my husband used to tease me about my work mobile, ie Blackberry. Why? I was like hooked on it and used to keep it next to my bed AND look at it whenever the little red light was showing, ie all the time. Well, now this is reality for all of us in the Smartphone world. It beeps, buzzes, flashes all the time and if you keep it in your bedroom at night there might be a chance it will disturb your sleep. You may not admit it yet, but think about what I'm telling you.

There's no law written that you always have to pick up the phone and check everything instantly. At least not when you're supposed to be sleeping. Yea yea, you're very busy doing a career. What if I told you that I've read studies that shows our small children are affected by parents constantly looking into their screens instead of looking at them.

Everything in moderation, my mom used to tell me. That goes for Smartphones as well. My husband and I are extremely interested in IT and at one point we had six computers at home so believe me I know how addicting YouTube is. You get stuck watching something....and then there's a whole list of suggestions showing even more interesting clips. So you click on a new one, a new one, a new one and voila....3 hours later.

As a parent I ask myself - What did I do with all the time I had before? Now, if I can go and see ONE movie it's like Christmas. Time is very precious and I value it much more now.

Everything in moderation is my point here. Just as we should not drink 2 bottles of Whiskey every day, exercise 8 hours a day, eat 2 kg of sugar.....or spend every waking moment looking at the lil screen. I prefer to look at life itself through my own eyes, and we have decided to put our phones in another room during night. I love my lil screen, but I've decided to draw the line. Actually we were forced to. As a parent, sleep is precious and there's no room to also tend to my Samsung Baby at night. One baby is enough at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment