Friday, May 31, 2013

Charity & NGO in India "warning"

Before you read the rest...my heart is with the poor and needy in India.  I have worked with Indian non-profit organizations in India since 2005 and this is my advice.

Westerners, especially Christians are easily cheated and fooled by their wish to help.

- Always demand written documentation for purchases and investments. For every purchase you get a receipt and everything is documented in this country.

- Corruption and family ties (big families here) can push even the most good hearted local Indian person over the edge where they will misuse your donation.

- It's the law of the jungle here and don't believe people tell the truth.  The truth is very flexible here for everyone.

- Don't use western goggles to view this country.

It may seem harsh to say these words, but believe me, I have learnt the hard way.

The needs in this country are huge and there are ways to help....but be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment