Friday, October 25, 2013

Pondicherry

We just got back from a visit to Pondicherry, an old French colony by the coast.  Yes, the beach guards tried to stop me from swimming (probably because they could not swim themselves),  but nothing could stop me.  As a child,  I dreamt of being a fish or a mermaid. Silly thoughts of a child, but I still remember how I thought and the feeling is the same.

I've never had more dosa and idli in my entire life...and I liked it. We found a great restaurant, Surguru, where a full meal for three adults was about 200rs, ie 20 kronor! 

I met some new friends, visited fantastic antique shops, got a beautiful gift from my husband and got to bless some other people with gifts.  It's fun to receive,  but even more so to give to others.  Beggars are common, but I met a handicapped man that touched my heart. He was a SALES MAN who sold 5 items for 50rs....and he was persistent.  I was not really interested in scissors and clips, but he did not accept getting money for free so I ended up with the items. There were some other sales women who caught the moment and tried to interfere with his sales pitch...dude..did he get angry! On our way to the airport I saw him selling a bucket and a broom. I hope other people like myself see and appreciate that wonderful man. Many people have lost their dignity a long time ago (understandably so), but he knocked me off my feet. I'll remember him for the rest of my life.

I already told you about my visit to the tomb of St Thomas and that was a life defining moment for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment