Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Human beingist

My parents are not perfect,  but I always felt immensely loved growing up. I never reflected or thought about that being a girl I should be a certain way. It was like,  same same, man and woman...human beings. ..what else.

Yesterday, a feminist friend on Facebook posted a brilliant link describing how women learn how to act and behave NOT to attract unwanted attention.  For instance. ...passing a group of men...the woman walks by with a stone face looking in the other direction. Not because she wants to act cold, but because she doesn't want that flirty unwanted attention.

I am the lucky one living in a marriage based on equality.  Yes, we're different but all human beings are different beyond being a man or woman.  Last week I was forced off the road while driving my scooter. Of course,  I assumed the only reason was something wrong with my scooter. ...but boy was I mistaken. My fear of an imminent crash turned to anger when the guy said - where are you from?  I drove off faster than a bullet.  Then he chases me and ask if we can be friends.  NOOOO! I screamed. This was in broad daylight on one of the busiest streets of Bangalore. Big deal you might think.  Idiots are everywhere...but it's not the first time and it's not ok.

I realize that the freedom that I'm used to and grew up with is not free. Someone said,  we have to remember the struggle women went through to gain rights to vote  etc

I'm a married woman who feels like a prey each time I step out the door. Like an antelope,  I am nervous,  always on my guard to escape, survive and just trying to live the life I was given.

No comments:

Post a Comment